OP: Epididymitis again... Help...

Ok so I think I have epididymitis again. The only problem is now I dont have health insurance (dad changed jobs so ins. doesnt kick in till may 1).

I went to a urologist a while back to check out some ultrasound results and make sure I didnt have any major problems. Anyways, he said I had some weird thing. Like a benign tumor on my spermatic cell or something (they said it was just built of skin tissue and it was harmless) So the doc then proceeded to play "see how hard I can squeeze a testicle before the patient collapses in pain". And since then I have had minor recurring pain in my other testicle (Related?) I didnt think anything of it until...

Last night, while climbing a route, my harness came loose, (a piece caught on a rock and came loose a bit) anyways, I tried the crux move (hardest part) and I slipped and fell about 2 feet before the rope and harness caught me. Of course, the leg came up and caught my testicle and I had my partner basically let go of the rope so I would come down really fast because it hurt...ALOT...and for the rest of the night I was in near tears. And now I have pain. (Not terrifyingly excruciating, but very uncomfortable) in BOTH my testicles. (although I injured the left one only last night)

So to any MD's on this site, what are some risks of long term epi? I mean IDK if it was even gone in the first place, and since I am going to have to wait about 2 weeks, I am kinda worried about complications to waiting.

Also tonight, I was masturbating, and I felt like I ejaculated a razor blade. The urethra hurt so much for about 10 to 15 seconds.!

Ducy

Posted: 23 Sep 07:50

Replies:

Are you not covered under school (college)? Also, call your doc, explain, let them know you have NO insurance, and what happened. Get an exam. Or say you hurt yourself in your car--put it under your auto insurance.

sera300

I didnt think about the college health care. Im just not sure how I could do that. (Will look into it) also I have tried a strictly cash basis, but I cannot afford it (like 75 dollars since my copay is 50 and he generally gets half from ins.) and my parents refuse because it is "my fault" for continuosuly hurting myself so I have to pay. (And all my cash is already going towards rent, car insurance, phone bill and gas)

ps...yes I am living with my parents. and yes they are charging rent...

Ducy

If he is your MD; he must take you even if you go on a payment plan. A regular ER or walk in Minor ER will see you and you have to pay [most cost in the long run]; however, a ER has to accept your ongoing payments even if it's $5.00 per month. FYI: These "out of pocket" costs since you do work, are a student, and pay for rent are TAX DEDUCTABLE at the end of the year. Hospitals have to write off a portion of unpaid bills annually if you CANNOT honestly afford medical treatment.

Or you can try a Medical clinic or say you injured yourself getting out of your car [this falls under the medical portion of PIP in Auto] but realize you may have rates raised secondary to your age.

Unless the severe pain, blood, changes, etc. continues I agree you can wait a few. Try going through the College insurance---since you DO attend there is mandatory coverage--even if a part-time student; unless you signed a waiver and provided them with current proof of insurance. Colleges are still in session--go see the nurse; even if you "just stop by". No nurse will turn you away although they are limited as to what they can "really" do legally--many will look & examine and tell you their thoughts off the record and also advise you "proper" medical care. If you are a student which is walking on campus for one class, one credit a semester, you still have to be insured medically. These are laws which many do not wish you to know--why? They keep loopholes and try to prevent everyone to take advantage of them. One last thought, though a great deal of paper work will be involved? Apply for "EMERGENCY MEDICAID". This covers a unplanned, unanticipated incident for a very short period of time...such as one treatment or one week. This is not the same as regular Medicaid---I learned much how to get people coverage for what they needed while in Administrative Quality Management Services. There are those who ride the system as a way of life, generational, and there are those who are called the "working class poor"---meaning work plenty of hours, go to college yet fall through any system. Once had a man who worked 3 jobs, did not take the meds prescribed, and did not want a pacemaker...he was about to die. Found the ways around it and the Cardio. guys did it for no cost and had his meds qualified through the drug companies for free. Why did he refuse or rather appear non-complaint? He made too much, worked much, had no insurance due to his employers, yet had no available services transparent TO HIM. He finally told me the truth...all was done for free and the hospital wrote it off & IN 1 HOUR AND HE DID WELL ALL WAS FINE!:)

sera300

Rather harsh to deny care. Two weeks likely will not hurt you but wow .....

Brandye

Posted: 23 Sep 07:51

Yea brandye. Its actually my fault cuz I am the one responsible for getting hurt since the rock climbing harness that I made broke. (Although it was a standard harness made from brand new webbing...the odds of it malfunctioning are insane especiall for somehting so simple.) :rolleyes: So thats why I have to pay!

And sera I will check everything out. I will save insurance for a very last resort though because I cant have my rates raise anymore. Im already paying almost 165 a month...which doesnt seem bad but Im only making about 7 or 800 a month. (60 for phone, 100 to 125 for gas, 300 rent 165 insurance, and which leaves me with around 100 to 150 for random expenses:() No way I can afford a raise in costs lol

Ducy

Posted: 23 Sep 07:51

Ducy; I think it's time to decide to stay on the Circus Wheel here or to go out on your own. Maybe get a place with a roommate? Not certain. A while back I told Oedi he was sitting on the fence and had to pick the side. You are beginning to climb the fence and have to decide; can you live w/your parents are is it time to move out???? If you stay at home; how do you "fit" and still be an adult?

sera300

Posted: 23 Sep 07:52

Not sure how, but I came down with this Tuesday night, and let me tell you how much pain I'm in.

Pain started Monday morning, swelling didn't start until Tuesday, by Tuesday afternoon I started to freak out and called my family doctor, he saw me and called over to the urologist who then sent me to the ER. The only plus was that my doctors called over to the ER to tell them why I was coming, so they had a wheel chair waiting for me. And I only had to wait for 2 mins in the waiting room. Ultrasound came out negative, meaning that it wasn't something worst (there's something worst!?!). About three hours later they gave me some sort of antibiotic and a prescribtion for more. They asked me if I wan't something for the pain, I said no, but now I'm wondering why I said no.

Wednesday I notice the swelling is actually worst, could this be because I was poked? I decided to wait it out, Thrusday it wasn't better, but it wasn't worst either. Had to call first thing in the morning to get an appointment with the urologist. They didn't have a time open, but was nice enough to take me anyway. The weird doctor didn't really seem that concerned, but had me go take another ultrasound, he suspected that it would turn out the same as the one on Tuesday, but wanted to rule it out. Turns out it was the same.

Today (Friday), still not better, still not worst, the pain is still there, thank god the pain is not as bad as it was. I was able to run to the store to get stuff for breakfast and lunch, just had to make sure to protect myself. That's the first time I've been anywhere public besides the doctors and the hospital.

I go back to the urologist on Monday for another follow up, maybe by then the antibotics will actually do something.

I'll ask the urologist on Monday, but if anybody had it in the past, how long did it last you? I see Master Bulldog said 11 weeks, I'm hoping it's not that long for me.

bobert3

Posted: 23 Sep 07:52

Hey Ducy, I totally empathise with you having epididymitis. I went through a spell of this Myself last year. I ended up having 11 weeks off work during which time I was on major pain killers and had a left testicle so swollen I had to move it out the way for fear of sitting on it! For those that have never experianced it, it is a whole new world of pain!

I wish you well and hope you get it all sorted bud :o)

Master Bulldog

Posted: 23 Sep 07:53

Oh yea, I was never able to close my legs the entire time I had it. And I find I still have some trouble keeping my legs together and many a time I have harmed myself while changing positions while sitting lol.

Ducy

Posted: 23 Sep 07:53

Add a Reply!