OP: I'm falling for a good friend... [m]

This is something I've been having many problems with and after browsing this site for the better part of a year, decided to try and get some advice from here. This is a long and complicated, and I don't really know which parts would and wouldn't be helpful, so I apologize for the length of this.

A very good friend of mine is engaged at the moment and has been having trouble with her fiancee. He's a man that likes to play around and have an open relationship when it comes to sex. He sees sex as a simple physical act that means nothing to a relationship, while she sees sex as a form of 'ultimate intimacy'. They've been talking and fighting about it for a while as he tries to get her comfortable with the idea and she tries to either see things his way or get him to see how she feels about it. They had recently started going to a swingers club to try and get her used to the idea (not having sex, but just being used to talking with other couples about it and such).

Well, to make things even more complicated, I had broken up with my girlfriend at the time when they had been starting to go to that swinger's club. My ex was a well-endowed woman and my friend's fiancee has always wanted to have sex with her ever since they had met (before we were dating). They had talked about it before and he decided to talk to her about it again since she was now single. Well, messages got misunderstood and my friend and her fiancee believed that my ex would be willing to act as a sex friend for him. My friend and I had been catching up with each other on more intimate details of our lives and had been talking about sex a lot (I was a virgin before my ex, so I was curious to see 'how I compared'). Well, a joke was made that, since her fiancee was going to get together with my ex, that my friend and I should hook up as well for some fun. We didn't take it seriously at first, but thought about it more and more, especially since we seemed to have all of the same likes and dislikes about sex.

After a few semi-awkward nights, we broke down and had sex together. While strange at first, the entire time we did it never felt 'wrong' to either of us and we were amazing for each other. She was only the second woman I had been with, but she far surpassed my ex in skill. Despite the experience she had in the past herself, I far surpassed all of them the first time too. While we believed that he would have my ex as his other partner, my friend and I had 2 more 'encounters' before it was found that he wouldn't have her as a partner. After we stopped, we continued talking to each other online and in person. We were very close friends before and would hang out regularly, but this remained unaffected by our adventures... at first.

It took me a while to notice it, and even longer to realize what it truly was. Even though we had temporarily stopped having sex, we had continued to learn more about each other. The more things we learned and rediscovered about each other, the more things we had in common and the closer we became. I noticed myself thinking and behaving towards my friend in the same way I acted towards my ex while we had been going out for a short amount of time, and she noticed the change as well. Things that she 'expected' her fiance to say or do about her issues or her achievements, she found that I was the one saying/doing them and her fiance ignored her. The more time we spent together, the harder it was for us to separate at the end of the night. This went one for about a month before we both admitted to each other the feelings that had been growing. We spent more time together, simply exploring what these feelings were to see if it was simply infatuation or a crush or something 'simple' as that, but our feelings for each other only grew.

Neither of us had thought of the other as a potential partner until we had started to talk about more intimate and personal matters. She had been having problems with her fiance before this whole mess, but she had been in many bad relationships in the past that she had resigned herself to thinking that she wasn't going to find anyone better and might as well try to live with the problems. After learning of the feelings I had for her and realizing the feelings she had for me, she's now stuck between the two of us. She still loves her fiance and doesn't want to lose the life that they have built together, but she knows she won't be truly happy with his outlook on relationships. She knows that she would be much happier with me and wouldn't need to worry about most of the problems she's facing now, but she doesn't know if she has the strength to take that risk (they have just purchased a house this year).

One of the major things we have in common is that we put the well-being of others before our own. As a potential partner, I have the confidence that I'd be able to treat her well and keep her happy. As a friend, I know she isn't happy and I want to be able to give her the strength to support her if she does leave. Whenever I offer her advice I feel like I'm betraying her and myself because I offer the advice of a friend that happens to be the kind of advice that would bring her in my arms. She has made her 'decision' to stay with him three times already, but each time something happens that makes her doubt her decision. The first time it was his reaction to it (he tried pushing her away and acted worse than before), while the second time was her realizing that the problems she's having were the same problems she's had in past relationships (the two drifting apart).

When we spend time together, we often act like a normal couple would (holding hands, kissing, etc). Throughout this entire ordeal, we've always been truthful to her fiance about our feelings and what we've done together. He's obviously bothered by the idea, but realizes that she needs to try and figure out what she truly wants right now and simply asked us to not have sex (or at least limit it as much as possible). We followed his request fairly well, but it's been getting harder resist when we're around each other. We've had sex a few times when he specifically asked her not to or have had sex and she hasn't told him about it. She doesn't regret it happening and doesn't want to avoid it, but she doesn't want to tell him because of how it will make him feel. She's been that way for us hanging out as well: we'd act just like a normal couple without any problems, and then she'd make mention of him and then would act awkward around me. I know she's confused and unsure of what she wants, but I'm getting mixed messages and don't know what I should do. I don't want to hurt her by being aggressive, but I also don't want to be too passive and risk losing her.

Again, I'm sorry for the length, but it's hard to limit myself and not feel like I'd be giving the wrong image or leaving things out. She's still not exactly sure what she wants at the moment and is simply 'going with the flow', staying with her fiance and being with me once in a week. I tried to simply ignore it or to try and see it as nothing more than sex, but it's not just that. She's even felt like she was cheating on me a couple of times while she was with him (instead of the opposite). I want to be with her and to let these feelings grow, but I fear that if I push to much she'll back away and if I give her too much space she'll drift away... I'm really lost here. :confused:

Mike1047

Posted: 06 Oct 00:24

Replies:

Now is the time to decide how YOU want YOUR life to be and then go out there and GET THAT life.

While it is all well and good to "put other people first", there comes a time when you have got to stop giving and get something back. This girl does not have any courage and will go through life being a doormat and bemoaning her 'fate' blaming everyone and everything other than herself for her problems because she's too damn scared to face up the facts and fix her problems. She'll whine and weasel and cry on your sholder but in the end will kowtow to her user/abuser because his personality and behavior confirms her inner sense of self-denial. They feed off of eachother. He makes her miserable because it makes him feel like a real man and she'll endure it because she doesn't think she deserves any better.

NOTHING you can do or say will change that. ONLY SHE can change it. NO MORE playing SIR GALAHAD.

Say goodbye and move on. You may tell her why by repeating to her my opening line to you above.

EvilEvilKitten

Oh, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive..
All of you should see a shrink, independently, and get your collective heads on straight. From what I've read from your story, you are deceiving each other as well as yourselves individually.

IMHO, you have stated several contradictions, first stating one behavior or attitude and the showing the contradiction, later on in your story.

These are matches seemingly made in the bed not "heaven".

As a browser for nearly a year, have you developed a following for the thoughts and recommendations EEK, Brandye, and, I offer? What is the purpose of dating? I believe those words should be reviewed by at least three of you. I peat and repeat myself frequently on this topic.

The other man in this foursome hasn't got a clue about what constitutes real love, admiration, and, a relationship, and it is questionable whether the two women do either.

My suggestion is for you to separate yourself from the others and move on and begin dating lots of other people developing friendships, first, then possibly more intimate relationships.

dancingdoc2

Tell this girl that you love her....and that you would love to be with her. Tell her that her fiance is an asshole (truth) and that nobody should be treated that way. Tell her that you could provide her the relationship that she wants and she deserves. Tell her that you would do anything for her love. THEN tell her that the only way she can have all of this, is if she leaves her fiance.

Give her an ultimatum - leave his arrogant ass to be with you, or stay with him and lose you.

Either way, get the hell out of the situation. You'll have to man up and use your balls here. Quit giving into her and stop giving her a temporary "way out". If you're serious about this girl, tell her your serious and that it is over until she leaves this jerkoff.

I agree with EEK, she is in self denial about being treated like shit and that she doesn't deserve better. She needs to wake up dude and you do too. There is nothing wrong with loving this girl, but the way the situation is, that IS wrong.

Either she leaves him or you rid yourself of this mess. Lots of fish in the sea.

DirtDriver

Posted: 06 Oct 00:25

Unfortunately, if she REALLY loved him, she'd already be with him. (She's had 3 chances already.)
Since she isn't, she isn't.

She's using him as her "crying shoulder" so she doesn't explode at home and 'ruin her beautiful relationship' with her fiance'.

Lame, lame, lame.

And he's fallen into the trap of make-believe: "if she'd only give me a chance, I could show her what REAL love is, means, etc."

Not going to happen, guy.
Rise up and walk away.

EvilEvilKitten

Thanks for the advice EEK, Doc and DirtDriver.

Sadly, it's hard to just move on and forget about her, especially with the type of person I am...

Mike1047

No one said it would be easy - only that it has to be done.

EvilEvilKitten

Best thing to do Mike, is get out there and find some hook ups. Meet some girls. I don't have to tell you this, but there are PLENTY of gorgeous, friendly, intelligent, sexy and amazing women out there. Go start having some fun and you'll get over this chick.

Every guy has been through something like this with a girl. Maybe not the exact situation, but a girl who stole our heart. I was like head over heels with this girl freshman year in college. We used to make out, have sex, hang out. But she wanted no relationship. She said I was just a "friend". Hardest thing ever to get over and I kept giving in to sex with her frequently until my best friend gave me a slap in the face, kick in the balls and a fun night on the town. Met a new girl who dazzled me and I forgot all about the other girl. Get up and go do it!

DirtDriver

Well, that's the thing for me: I just can't see sex as just sex. So, me going "out on the town" wouldn't be something that I would do in the first place, and honestly it wouldn't really help.

Mike1047

Well I just guess you're doomed than buddy. Might as well just keep giving in to this girl until it becomes adultery. I mean, what other choice do you have? :rolleyes:

DirtDriver

Posted: 06 Oct 00:26

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I meant that have sex with no emotions behind it is not really something that will help much. So me having a 'night on the town' and just going out with many random women won't help in the way it would for you or others.

Mike1047

Actually, Mike, it might help. Because try as you might, you can't help BUT invest SOME emotions into finding and dating other women.

EvilEvilKitten

It's not that I never invest emotions when trying to find and date women. What I was saying is that having sex with random partners, for me, is just not something that I can do. Sex without any emotional attachment behind it is not as good as sex with someone I care about.

Mike1047

he likes an open relationship as long as it's not her having sex with others? A true asshole then.

But either your friend needs to get out of that relationship or you need to get yourself a girlfriend to keep you from having sex with your friend. As it is, you've got a recipee for misery.
You can't afford (emotionally) to wait for her to leave him unless she's going to do it right now. But that doesn't mean that you can't stay friends (and since she's supposedly in an "open" relationship... sex with a friend for the sake of sex isn't that bad when you're not dating, is it?)

PerKr

Mike,
Stop missing the point, please. If you like her enough to take her to bed and treat her well, then you care about her. DUH! (Where's my brick?)

Stop being this girl's 'pet dog'. She's obviously drawn to men with stronger personalities (even if he is a complete lout) so either you 'grow a set' in her eyes or you WALK.

You've issued 3 ultimatums and each time she's caved in and gone back to him but has kept you there to cry out her eyes over. So, your ultimatums aren't really ultimatums - and she's stopped believing them and doesn't take you seriously. PET DOG will come when called - is stamped on your forehead, buddy.

Harsh but true. So wise up and get yourself out of this damn mess.
There are plenty of fine loving women with backbones out there - go find one of your own.

EvilEvilKitten

Posted: 06 Oct 00:27

Mike, you don't have to go out on the town and try to get laid! What I meant by that was, go out and meet people! I personally wouldn't go fuck some girl I just met in a bar, under usual circumstances. LOL! BUT, when I was dating around, I had a lot of fun just meeting people. Some of them led to eventual hook-ups, some of them fizzled out, but the point is - go play the game.

It really is a game and it can be a really fun game. It can help you gain confidence in yourself. I have had many conversations with lovely women out on the town. You don't have to sleep with them, but having a conversation with somebody that you find attractive can lead you to the path of finding someone who could change your life.

I am married and would never cheat on my wife. Just the other day I was travelling home and this girl was sitting next to me on the plane. She was adorable. She was about 5'6", brown hair just below her shoulder, with beautiful blue eyes and she wore the cutest glasses. She was studying for a test at medical school. We talked for awhile and it was just nice to talk to someone. She knew I was married, but I knew she was attracted to me and she enjoyed having a conversation. We parted ways when the plane landed and when I got home, I made amazing love to my wife. The moral of the story? Sharing a kind of attraction with someone of the opposite sex - even in the most harmless of sense - can make you feel better about yourself. It can energize your own level of confidence. I love my wife dearly, would never cheat on her. But by having the pleasure of sharing that conversation with this attractive girl on the airplane, she actually brightened my day, put me in a better mood and I felt more confident about myself. Kind of made me feel like I AM a desirable person. Sometimes when you've been with the same person for a long time, you start to lose the feeling that you are attractive and desirable. It helps to meet people, even if it just for 2 hours of small talk in a bar or restaurant.

It can leave you with a sense of worth. Human beings are by their very biological make-up social beings. Humans need and desire socialization with members of the opposite sex. Satisfy this desire with new people, I think it would surprise you.

DirtDriver

I read the whole thing, and being honest - it sounds like children pretending to be adults. It doesn't sound like anyone involved is ready for a relationship, as part of being in one is having to be mature enough to tell yourself "no, I would rather not put myself in that situation" -

The fiance is wrong for insisting on an open relationship.
She's wrong for flip flopping on the matter and then lying to her fiance about you two.
You're wrong for continuing your involvement in this mixed up situation.

Now who is going to be the adult and put an end to it?

LickMyGamete

I'm sorry if this is considered spam, but it's something I wanted to do.
To those that offered advice for me, thank you very much.

An update:
Shortly after my last post on this forum, her and I got together and I presented her with what's essentially an "all or nothing" situation. Either she leave him and we be together in a 'real' relationship, or she stay with him and we either stay friends or not see each other again. I gave her a day or two to think about what she truly wanted and when the time came for her to reveal her decision, she had no hesitation: Leave him and be with me.

After they broke up, we went back to just being friends for a while, since I knew she needed a friend more than a lover at that point.

We started getting back to how we were together in October, but in November we decided to be 'officially' together... and we have been together ever since.

We've had a blast being together, both in and out of the bedroom! We've been on many wild and crazy adventures that only two psychos like us would find fun, we've been to visit a few great places that her or I had never been before, we both get along great with the family of the other and we have confidence in each other with no doubt or uncertainty of our actions or words.

I know no one probably cares and those that offered advice have forgotten about me by now, but since it was approaching our 1 year anniversary I figured I'd pop in here to at least say what the outcome of my situation was.

:D

On a side note: not only are we happy and have a lot of fun together, but we are amazing with each other sexually... and we keep getting better. ;)

Mike1047

Congrats dude! Most people never like the "Hard Advice" that is given on these :) forums but you took it and look at how it wound up

Ducy

Posted: 06 Oct 00:28

Add a Reply!