OP: Dr. Drew's dislike of 50 shades of grey...

This Dr. Drew character (whoever he is) seems to be really upset over the idea of consensual kinky sex ampng adults. Here's the link to a discussion which he has with a panel of three women on over the Fifty Shades of Grey erotic fiction trilogy. These are best sellers among women in the USA. This guy thinks the situations depicted are the worst thing in the world. The women on the panel all disagree with him.
I welcome opinions, especially from anyone who has read the series.

dlb

Posted: 04 Oct 23:37

Replies:

Dr Drew is an MD who specializes in addiction (though I'm not sure how much he practices outside reality tv ;)). He's become a media-personality through several tv and radio-shows, particularly considering relationships. I've seen him as host on tv-shows Sex Rehab, 16&pregnant and Teen Mom. He seems pretty grounded and relaxed and able to lead a good discussion, particularly on subjects that would make other people uncomfortable. So I'm pretty surprised about the way he handles himself here. I'm thinking personal ties may play it's part. Perhaps bringing his wife to this panel wasn't the best idea :rolleyes:

That said, I don't know the books. I do know there's a fine line between manipulating a person into doing what pleases you for your own gain, glossed over by the reasoning the other doesn't know what (s)he wants/likes and needs to be educated and even rescued by you. Or inspiring, stimulating and empowering another person into exploring, discovering, doing and becoming what (s)he wants/likes, while both taking joy and pleasure in the process.

I must say that in media too often (young) women are depicted as the former; naive, passive, willing "victims". The media are like a mirror of society. And though mirrors don't work 1 on 1 with whatever they depict -as left becomes right, parts of us are out of range of vision and things we otherwise wouldn't have seen are overemphasized- when we look into it we do get some sort of confirmation about who we are. Meaning that doesn't predict much good about the self-image of (young) women and the image men (are taught to) have of us.

So to me; the question is not whether consensual kinky sex among adults or the description of it in erotica is wrong or right (whatever floats your boat! :)) What is interesting is the question whether these books depict a situation in which it is freely consented to or whether the character has picked himself an easy victim to manipulate for his own pleasure. And possibly: whether she needs to be victim in order to not feel guilty so she can have pleasure, which is a classic storyline used in erotica. Like a twisted perpetuum mobile that keeps the guilt and shame about sex going. Last but certainly not least: the question is whether women who enjoy reading this, identify with a need to being victimized and manipulated in order to enjoy sex. Giving us a mirror to sexual attitudes. Or that the stories should be more regarded as the enjoyment of the safe scare or thrill (like rollercoasters can thrill us, same can do fiction/fantasies- thriller didn't become a word for nothing :rolleyes:). I can't answer these questions, certainly not regarding these books...

RedRoses

Thanks for explaining who Dr. Drew is Red Roses. Your responses are alwasy thoughtful. I am still trying to figure out whether this man is so incensed over how poorly the book was written, or whether a woman might write a book containing kinky sex scenes or whether other women enjoy reading it. He seems to be extremely bent out of shape over this. I haven't read any of the books either. They aren't available in my country, but next trip to USA or UK I plan to buy at least the first one. Something that can cause such childish behavior in someone who bills himself as a medical professional-talk show host seems pretty fun.

dlb

I read the books' reviews and didn't read the books because they were CONVENTIONAL. Ho hum. Standard stuff, move along, nothing to see here. The reviews also mentioned how poorly written they were. So the decision NOT to read any of them was an easy one to make.

For the general public who doesn't usually read anything other than Harlequin romances, they would seem really rather racy, I imagine.

I've heard about Dr. Drew but I've neer watched or listened to him. It is much more fun to watch and listen to Christopher Hitchens instead.

EvilEvilKitten

Dr. Drew is a total quack. Anyone who watched the televised version of Loveline years ago for more than 5 minutes knows this. Ignore him.

Vindictive755

Posted: 04 Oct 23:38

I've read the series, thought it was great recommend it for couples definitely sparks the imagination.

rg43147

But in all seriousness, being that 50 shades is actually a Twilight fan-fic that romanticizes physical and verbal abuse among women, I can see why Dr.Drew would be upset about it.

g-dubz

Just catching up here, I'm new.
I agree with vindictive755. This guy is a wack job. I read his past post on "dancing". What a waste of time. As one responder put it, get with a female family member was the most direct answer. Seems like he likes to hear himself talk.

Posted: 16 Apr 19:21

Add a Reply!