OP: Getting pregnant again after previous C-Section?

Hey everyone. My boyfriend and I already have one child who will be 3 in 2 months and we're wanting to have another child. My first child had to be delivered via emergency C-Section because he was in distress during labor. Will the fact that I had a C-Section before potentially affect a new pregnancy and delivery? If so, how?

Posted: 24 May 04:17

Replies:

It shouldn't, but that's a question you should ask your doctor, not here.

Posted: 24 May 11:21

Butterfly82 - From what I've read, in most c-section cases, follow up pregnancies aren't a problem, just that there is a recommended waiting period of 18 months to give your body the time to heal any scars that may have developed on your uterus. However, you should discuss this with your doctor, as s/he should be more aware of the details of your specific scenario.

For fun - why not both?

Posted: 24 May 16:36

Obviously NO ONE on this site, or any site for that matter, will know her physical situation better then her doctor. To recommend or suggest is reckless and dangerous.

Posted: 25 May 15:08

Although there isn't a resident doctor here at the moment, there has been for a big part of the site's history... as well as many nurses. Further, there are people who have gone through this themselves with experiences that they can share.

No one in their right mind would offer medical advice without the right qualifications and knowledge about the specific patient.... that doesn't mean people can't discuss the topic to help reduce anxiety while they wait for their appointment with their doctor. That's one of the main purposes of this place...

Posted: 25 May 16:25

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with asking about it on forums like this and discussing it with your doctor.

Posted: 01 Jun 01:14

Dear Butterfly,
Congratulations on your big decision to have another child! I can imagine you're wondering about the effects of your c-section. Did your doctors inform you about any adverse effect that could be expected in the future? Was there anything that appeared out of the ordinary during your check-ups after?

If there wasn't and you've healed properly, then your chances of conceiving should not have changed. Only in very rare cases infections or severe scar tissue after c-section influences your fertility. There will be some necessary scarring on your uterus. However: you can still birth your next baby vaginally. It's called a VBAC. There's a lovely book about it, called: "Birthing Normally After a Cesarean or Two".

But first; let's get pregnant ;) If you'd like, you can look into fertility awareness methods to maximise your chances of conceiving. 'Taking charge of your fertility' is an excellent book on your road of self-discovery. Depending on where you live, there may even be classes available.

Please note that I'm no doctor, but I do occasionally work in medical settings as a counselor. My job is to support clients, teach them about the physiology of their bodies, inform them about their options and translate medical jargon when necessary, so that they can make informed choices.

Posted: 19 Jun 12:27

Add a Reply!