OP: Is the patch enough on its own?

My girlfriend uses the patch, so I don't use a condom(we're both clean so that isn't an issue).

One day me and my friend were talking, and surprisingly enough we started talking about sex, I happened to mention that I don't have to use a condom and he freaked out...

He started ranting about how it's only 99.9% effective, and even though his girlfriend uses the pill, he still uses TWO condoms to be safe.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

should I be using a condom?
remember we're both clean.
And is my friend way to paranoid?

JohnnyD37

Posted: 30 Sep 01:22

Replies:

Yea no need to use 2 condoms!! sometimes that's worse!... the friction can cause them to break.
I am in a LTR w/ my b/f... both clean...monogamous...etc. I only use the pill. I am religious when taking it. I know the fore mentioned is only as accurate as far as if you trust your partner. Besides that... A lot of couples just use 1 method of hormonal BC. If your g/f is on the patch...then at least you don't have to worry about her missing a pill or anything...which lowers the efficacy.

Also depends on your stages in life. If you are 16 then multiple forms of BC are recommended just in that a baby at this time would be most dire. I am 29 and I DO NOT want a baby now...but if something happened... my b/f and I have stable jobs, a home, etc... so it would be less of a disaster.... you know???

Condoms are mainly for STDs. If anything, your friend and his girl could use spermicide added to the vagina... that way he could at least FEEL sex LOL :)

demonbuttercup

A little reality: If 100 women use any form of hormonal birth control for a year, three will become pregnant. The patch is possibly the riskiest both for pregnancy and side effects. Because it is percutaneous (through the skin) the dosage can be affected by heat, perspiration, exercise in addition to diet and other supplements or drugs.

Demon's life stage advice is key. If pregnancy would be merely changing the timing of kids, no big deal. If pregnancy will cause major life stresses, I would recommend additional protection. Generally, I steer patients away from the patch. Do a google search and you will discover why.

Brandye

Thanks. I guess I should go buy a pack of condoms.
Kids = NO

JohnnyD37

Posted: 30 Sep 01:23

you should use a condom. even though she's on the pill there's still a chance of getting her pregnate. when you do use a condom, don't getting going at it if you exploded, because the condom can break because it's full.

TangerineSky69420

Once a woman is on the BC pill and her period is set to a constant date, can you tell when she is fertile and when she isnt? Like I have read about planned parenting and that some couples dont use anything and just plan based on when a woman is fertile and when she isnt. That way if you could figure that out you could enjoy natural sex on the nonfertile days while still having her on the pill, then use condoms on all the others.

bluetide76

She should never be fertile, blkuetide. You need some education. In Birth Control, etc, read Caution:Take Only As Directed.

Tangerinesky, you could use some education, too. Look around a bit.

Brandye

Posted: 30 Sep 01:24

Add a Reply!