OP: 1 in 4 girls have an std in the US!?!?

http://www.chron.com/news/nation-world/article/Study-1-in-4-teenage-girls-in-U-S-has-a-sex-1779147.php

This article states 1 out 4 American teenage girls has some sort of STD!!
Be careful!!!

g_m

Posted: 30 Sep 01:32

Replies:

Saw that yesterday; should be interesting to see if there are changes after those vaccinated hit the same age frames and what the numbers are. :eek:
Shows why education & prevention are imperative.

sera300

Posted: 30 Sep 01:32

There is an entire thread on Cervical cancer with lots more information under Sexual Health: Women.

The recent U.S. report you cite has surprised many of us in the medical community. We knew that by age thirty about half had been exposed but this is for 14-19 yo girls. In Europe much of this finding is being blamed on the recent U.S. limit on sex education being abstinence only.

Brandye

Posted: 30 Sep 01:33

You mean in America they don't teach you anything except "Just Don't Do it"?

Bloody hell.

PlasticVicar

Posted: 30 Sep 01:36

Bush has pushed abstinence teaching is schools for Sex Ed. Each State can choose to abide by it or to actually teach truthful info. to prevent. Furthermore, I believe the discussion needs to begin at home and early on; parents must listen & teach whether they like it or not. Years ago, you worried your kids would become pregnant. Now you really need to come down to earth as a parent, teach and explain, to keep your kids safe & alive.

sera300

Certainly. Teach your children about sex, before the creepy man in the trench coat does.

PlasticVicar

Well at my school they don't preach "abstinence only", they do emphasize it's the only method that can ensure safety at 100%, but they do still teach how to use birth control, and specify which ones don't protect against std's. One of my teachers even gave us a list of every possible birth control/std prevention methods in existence.

I don't blame it on the government, it is very easy to go to the store and buy what you need. I blame it on the ignorance of students.

For example, one of my friends, I knew for a fact had knowledge of birth control methods because we were in the same class, became pregnant. She would have sex with and without a condom, just because her boyfriend would say it was hotter without. Both of them are idiots, they both knew better.

g_m

Posted: 30 Sep 01:37

A teacher from my high school got in trouble my freshman year for teaching how to use condoms...or well she was trying to make a point by rolling a condom up her arm (to show that they werent really dangerous since everyone in school said they broke easily).

Everyone thought she was crazy but I think it was one of the smartest things anyone has ever done.

Ducy

Posted: 30 Sep 01:37

You must be in a state which has adopted the sex ed courses. Many do not!!!

sera300

Posted: 30 Sep 01:38

From what I remember, the sexual education class in my school taught us about everything - contraception, STDs, etc.

I have no idea what countries in Europe you're talking about, gorgeous, but I have to say that that's a misconception. I've been to pretty much all of the major ones and they seemed rather oppressive. It's like going back in time 100 years. England is by far the most uptight, stuffy place I've ever been to. Not to insult anyone who lives there - I did have a relatively good time. That's just the way I saw it.

And on the other end of that spectrum - Amsterdam is a total hell-hole. That place is absolutely FILTHY. The whole city smells like marijuana, and at night the streets are filled with people strung out on LSD and prostitutes (not particularly attractive ones, either). They would do well to have some stricter laws - I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there. There's no place like home...

oedipussy

Posted: 30 Sep 01:39

I live in washington and had to go through 2 sex ed courses in school. One in 6th grade and the next 9th. 6th grade was more of the what is happening to my body during puberty and stuff relative to that. Freshman year was comprehensive, an hour a day for a week. Pictures, videos, descriptions, guest speakers from the state dept of health, statistics, how to obtain and use birth control methods. Everything was covered. Now I do know friends who went through that class and still fool around with their tool uncovered. Abstinence was never pushed in my school.
On a side note I would like to say that in my opinion abstaining until marriage is foolish. How is one to know if their partner will be compatible on a sexual level. To me that seems about as smart (and likely to succeed) as William Tell shooting an arrow off of a person's head blindfolded after being spun around in a circle 5 times.

gknowels

I live in england. Though its true there are high pregnancy levels among teens I wouldnt say we are liberal. I find that "the age of consent" really is a none issue. People have sex when they want sex. I know some that were from 13 and i know virgins are 20.

I had my sex ed in catholic schools. You get your basics puberty etc at yr6 then your learn how flowers reproduce. yr 11 a quick reminder for a lesson. And we did a lesson on contraceptives (not shown a condom or anything just told) and then told further but dont have sex till marriage. Then there was yr 13 (sixth form) when we were given the sex talk.... by a priest who said that pedophile and homosexuality were the same a evil. And that sex was represented by the trinity (which has 3 people in!).

We knew that we should have contraception but people and well they were kids are ignorant. Some are living with their little consequences... and some got lucky. All I can say is people are sometimes idiots.

Amsterdam cannot smoke marijuana inside any public place any more since the smoking ban anywho.

I would say were more liberal with alcohol any day, my friends are constantly at a pub club or just drink at our flat. I mean our legal drinking age is 18 therefore kids at 14 want to drink like the "big kids" and they do drink from young age. Hell i was being served in bars at 15.

At least it could be turning 21 in a few years... preferably when i am over 21...

It weird to hear what other countries think...

info_junkie

Add a Reply!