OP: Another Depo Q

Ok I am 18 and basically I am on the depo and have been now for just 2 months and I havent had a period since. I have gained a little weight (I know this is a side effect of most hormone birth control) however my tummy feels hard and of course when mention this to my mother her first common is Are You Pregnant? After she said this I became scared. I always use a condom (except once but he didnt come etc).

I am becoming scared and I only panic as because my mother became pregnant due to unfortuate circumstances round my age and I am scared of consequences of myself...

I have heard you can get the symptoms on the depo but not be... and that home tests if you are may come out wrong due to the hormone change when on depo...

Could I be pregnant even though I have used protection practically every single time????? (very time I think about it I am terrified to the point when I feel I might be makin myself ill.)

info_junkie

Posted: 28 Sep 22:11

Replies:

Talk to your doctor. I have no clue what is causing the tummy to feel hard. I have more difficulty with patients acclimating to the shot than to any of the other hormonal approaches. It would be very unlikely that you are pregnant.

At the very least, seeing the doctor will give her a chance to check the "hardness," reassure you, and talk through adapting to the depo.

Don't rely on the stuff you have heard; talk to the doctor or nurse and get the straight line.

Brandye

Posted: 28 Sep 22:11

Listen to what Brandye said.

Skip guessing at the pregnancy questions, talk to your doc. What you are hearing is bad info. from unreliable resources. Abdominal issues may have nothing to do with the depo, it's so unlikely.

A preg test will show accurately, the depo will not interfere with that. Stop panicking!

sera300

Posted: 28 Sep 22:12

ok I think my hard abdomen (sp?) may be due to the fact that I would have been having my peirod round now as I have also had a few not very painful at all cramps and it would explian quite a lot. (I have also figured stress might be an factor as talking to my estranged sis and coursework haevnt proven enough) I hate the fact I dont get my period and it worries me every month as I am a born panicker apprently, so I might switch to the pill but I have a very very very poor memory hence why I got the shot. (also becuase of my genetics my family tend to find it easier to gain weight and I here this happens on the pill)

I have calmed down to the fact I am most unlikely pregnant as if the condom and depo wouldnt work together (and the condom has never split!) then women would be screwed lol I am booking an appointment with the doc monday morning to discuss contreception further and better methods and of course my tum.

I may have other issues with the depo as since i have had it my shoulders are painful especially when I sleep and it has only happened with the shot....

Thanks for your help. Its nice to discuss topics with people who arent subjective and going to give an emotional opinion such as my mum

info_junkie

To ease your mind, do a home preg test. If you are bloated it may be more of an intestinal issue. If it continues see your GP.

Exams can drive a sane person to the brink of insanity! Good luck w/them!

sera300

I saw my GP. He just told me that i can ain weight with depo (and a fair bit) and that the hormones change your body etc etc etc

My stomach bloating ish has gone down... only slightly but i am annoyed it noticeable with my jeans....

and my 8 hour art exam went ok, also i did worry myself sick... I caught a cold when it warm! And had hayfever on top... its just not my month! Cheers tho i thought i would update

info_junkie

Posted: 28 Sep 22:13

It's nice when people post an update! I always found when on hormonal BC I really had to be careful about what I ate and at times add some extra exercise.

Glad you did well with your exams!

sera300

Posted: 28 Sep 22:13

I am still on Depo-provera.
My most recent shot was oct 12th and i have another forst week of jan.

I now really want to not have it anymore. I do gain weight after my shots. The last one i had has been the worst and its getting me so down that i eat about 1000 cals a day (aiming for 1 meal) at most and i have actually gone up a size. I also have at times extreme paranoia which i didnt have before the shot ( my mum doesnt help the matters if i am honest.) and i get terrible tum aches especially as of recently.

My medical problems recently have led me to stay on the shot. I have been diagnosed with anemia (it was iron anemia but they said thats wrong pfft) so i am now on Fersaday as the other pills made me nauseous. As I have had 10 UTI's this year my dr just did some tests on kidneys and stuff and said "i will grow out of it" and so i am not having surgery which is great. But it means i am recurrently on Trimethoprim.

So I guess the pill is apparently not an option as they are interfere with my medications. And its good as i am bad enough at remember to take the Fersaday.

I am from the uk the ring IS NOT available asked and my nurse said no. I do not wish to be on the patch and apparently the implant has the same side effects as depo (and my friend is on it and after a year is having odd problems).

So what are my options? I do NOT want to get pregnant. It is literally the worst thing that could happen to me in my opinion i just dont like it or the idea of having kids.

What do i do. I will have been on the depo a year in feb. Apart from random bleeds, the side effects have not worn off.

Advice would be so much appreciated. If anymore info is needed just ask.

info_junkie

Posted: 29 Sep 23:38

Your experience with depo is not unusual. The issues will show up with any of the hormonal contraceptives.

Talk to your doctor about an IUD. You will have "regularity" problems coming off the shot and some women have erratic bleeding until they adjust to an IUD. It is the best solution you have left and is as effective as the pill. Using it with a vaginal spermicide or a condom reduces the chance of pregnancy to essentially nil. The same as a condom while on the pill.

Brandye

Posted: 29 Sep 23:39

Hi everyone. I used to be on the depo provera shot for a few years. Anyway, even 2 years after going off the shot, I still had only 2 or 3 periods a year. Is it possible that the depo provera shot has screwed my system up and left me infertile? :confused:

Spicygirl82

Posted: 29 Sep 23:49

Rare; you need to discuss this with you Gyn since there are other factors which can affect your irregular period. Most women take 1-1&1/2 years. Have hear of longer but I would not just accept the Depo is the culprit. There are other ways a Gyn can regulate a period; however, you need some basic testing done. Additionally, your age may be a factor.

Since you do get a period does not render you as being "infertile" just very irregular unless you have attempted to get pregnant for a year and have been unable to. Depo claims it can cause difficulty with returning to a fertile state.

sera300

Posted: 29 Sep 23:49

Hmmm ok. I don't think my age would be a factor as I am only 26 years old. Surely I am not beginning to go through menopause or anything at this age. Also, I am worried that I may have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I am trying to schedule an appointment with a gynecologist to get tested for it but unfortunately, I am having trouble finding a gynecologist that will accept my Medicaid for anything except for pregnancy. My previous gynecologist said he'd let me come and would accept my Medicaid for the test and everything but they can't get me in until October and so I am trying to simply find a different gynecologist. Anyway, what are the symptoms of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome?

Spicygirl82

Posted: 29 Sep 23:50

Not likely that you have been rendered permanently sterile but I have had patients take a long time to get back to normal after depo. Similar issues are showing up with the newer meds that limit the period to a few times each year.

After two years, it is time to talk to your doctor long and seriously. She may want to run other tests and she may be able to prescribe some help getting back to normal.

Brandye

Posted: 29 Sep 23:50

Add a Reply!