OP: Weight gain and the pill

I began taking Loestrin Fe a month and a half ago to combat painful cramps, PMDD, and hormone-related migraines. (If it matters, I do not take the placebo pills, and thus do not cycle. At all. Such were the doctor's orders and I am not complaining.) Since then, I have noticed an increase in my weight, despite my diet and exercise regimen remaining steady. I know that some forms of the pill can encourage weight gain; when I enquired about this particular medication, I got an "it CAN happen, but rare" non-specific answer (I am very quickly realizing that I need a second opinion on various gynaecological matters.) My mother has told me that after two or three months, the weight gain should stop.

Is my mother right about this? What is it about the pill and the specific hormones that causes (or encourages) weight gain?

Not thrilled about adding another mile to her rollerblade sessions in the middle of summer,

JustAGirl

Posted: 29 Sep 01:57

Replies:

Any form of hormonal birth control can cause weight gain. It varies from woman to woman. Some do better with a progest. based contraceptive, some do better with the combo estrogen/progest. I have always experienced weight gain which had to be watched with diet and exercise, no pill worked better then another for this (for me). I never found the issue to resolve after years of the pill. The only hormonal contraceptive which was okay for me with no side effects was Depo. shots. However, many women complain about the side effects & weight gain.

So to answer, there is no standard solution! Strict diet and exercise; additionally, speak to your doctor about the problem and see if there is another type of pill to try. I would say to try the nuvaring since it's a low dose but you get your period with it. Honestly, I do not know if you can prevent your period with the ring if you insert a new one rather then taking it out for the five days, it may be too low dosed, I am not certain. Other's here may be able to answer that one!

sera300

Posted: 29 Sep 01:58

So when my gf gained ten pounds, it might have been the pill instead of the ice cream and pizza?

Engage!

Okay Engage, 5 lbs the pill and 5 lbs the food!

sera300

Heck, maybe I'm on a wrong pill. I'm on Ortho-Cycline Lo, and I haven't gained a pound, unfortunatly.

LittleFury

The lower the level of hormone, the less the side-effects. The Tri-cycline Lo would predictably cause less weight gain, and other side effects, than the regular Tri-cyline.

Most importantly, sera points out that it is highly individual. I have had one patient add a bra size on one pill and another patient lose a bra size on the same pill.

Brandye

Posted: 29 Sep 01:59

It would be nice if it would go to my boobs! :D

I can certainly live with it, I much prefer being on it than off and I need the exercise anyway. Is my mother correct that this is a temporary side effect, though?

JustAGirl

If you adjust your diet and exercise, it is temporary. If not, it could be permanent.

Brandye

3 months is usually the time span it takes for your body to adjust.

before i started taking birth control i was 98 lbs. in less than 2 weeks my weight shot all the way up to 115 lbs (alot considering my starting weight) it was alarming because i didn't know if it was going to stop or not :eek: and that is a rather fast rate to be gaining weight.

eventually i stopped gaining weight, but the excess didn't just fall off on its own. it took a bit of effort and i'm now around 102 after 3 years....

*as a side note i used to have a very flat stomach, and after taking birth control i have this bulge that wont go away. at one point i did get back down to my original weight, but the buldge was still there. however to me, the side effects were a worthy tradeoff because my horrible cramps are gone :)

eminatic

Posted: 29 Sep 02:00

Add a Reply!