There have been some recent discoveries, I believe in the US, that the patch as presently formulated is putting more hormone into the blood stream than is normal for other forms of hormonal birth control. I have only seen a few articles in professional journals and have not read the findings themselves.

I have had a few patients who opted for the patch but some have stopped for other reasons. I have seen no problems associated with the patch but this is a small clinic in a small community.

There are options available to you. If you like the convenience of not having to remember pills every day, look into the ring. It is inserted (by you) once a month. I suspect that the dosages are now being questioned in light of the patch findings but the ring infuses lower levels of hormones than other hormonal approaches. Althoug my tubes are cut, I did wear a "practice ring" for two cycles and found no discomfort or interference with intercourse. Discuss this all with your doctor but the headaches are good enough reason to consider some change.

Brandye

Posted: 28 Sep 00:13