OP: The Pill and Smoking

My girlfriend wants to go on the pill but we have been told that smoking whilst on the pill can be dangerous by her doctor. But I believe that there is more than one type of contraceptive pill and I was wondering whether or not smoking is a danger with all of them or if there is a form which is safe. If there is could someone please tell me how we go about obtaining it and if this would be affected by the fact that we live in the UK.

Thnx again for the advice.

Gazz

Posted: 27 Sep 04:12

Replies:

Hi Gazz: All oral contraceptives are basically the same when it comes to smoking. So, unless you want to stay with "barrier" forms of birth control, she'll always have that "increased" risk.

If i were here, i'd ask her Docotor to show the documentation on the REAL risk. Most of my female friends smoke and are on the pill (many for almost 20 years) with no "attributable" health problems from smoking and the pill!

I think they're just giving her the appropriate warnings overall!

Rawbob

i had asked Brandye this same question once before and here is her answer

"Responses to Demon and Steph,

I have never encountered someone on both Norplant and the pill. That seems rather odd to me and would certainly magnify any side effects of either. They are noth hormonal methods of birth control.

Some studies have indicated that there is a slightly elevated chance of stroke or heart attack in women over thirty on the pill. This is somewhat elevated by smoking. We are talking about very slight increases in the rate of these diseases. The risks attendant to pregnancy are greater than the risks associated with the pill. In other words, you are getting better odds by going on the pill.

There are many good reasons for stopping smoking. You can just add this one but smoking is no reason to avoid the pill. "

--------------
Brandye
Don't wear cheap bras!

i had asked Brandye this same question once before and here is her answer

"Responses to Demon and Steph,

I have never encountered someone on both Norplant and the pill. That seems rather odd to me and would certainly magnify any side effects of either. They are noth hormonal methods of birth control.

Some studies have indicated that there is a slightly elevated chance of stroke or heart attack in women over thirty on the pill. This is somewhat elevated by smoking. We are talking about very slight increases in the rate of these diseases. The risks attendant to pregnancy are greater than the risks associated with the pill. In other words, you are getting better odds by going on the pill.

There are many good reasons for stopping smoking. You can just add this one but smoking is no reason to avoid the pill. "

--------------
Brandye
Don't wear cheap bras!

editdeletereply

Thanks, Demon, for posting that earlier response. Saved me some hunting.

Now, Gazz, I assume you are under the NHS because Yanks are not sophisticated as we who use "whilst!" She is entitled to another opinion; see another doctor. In the defence of the doctor, I do not know her medical or family history. If her mother and all her aunts died of strokes, I may answer differently.

Here in Westerross, smoking is, regrettably, a favorite indoor sport. Many of my patients are smokers on the pill.

Brandye

You could try non-hormonal options like condoms or long-acting reversible contraceptives such as IUDs or implants. They are like Disposable Vapes ( https://www.buyvapesbulk.co.uk/collections/disposable-vapes ), much safer than usual cigarettes.

Posted: 19 Jan 00:48

Add a Reply!