OP: Side effects from the pill?

JUst wondering.. does anyone know what the, if any, side effects of the pill are to a teenage girl?
I've heard rumors ranging from excessive weight gain to hair growth and blindness (?) I'm sure these aren't true, but what are the real effects?

Halo

Posted: 27 Sep 01:04

Replies:

I have never had luck with any birth control which put hormones in your body. The pill made my cycle come twice a month. That stunk... half the month!

sexykitty

Ok, i've recently started taking the pill... I'm not a teenager so I guess some of the side effects would differ on me but I'm not sure how...

Ok. Some of the side effects listed are

Decrease in sex drive, weight gain OR loss, more body hair, blood clots, depression and alot of other side effects. But as the stuff says they are rare

I think if I remember correctly the most common side effect of the pill was nausea and vomiting. Something like that anyway. But it's best to ask the doctor about these kind of stuff since they are trained professionals.

Ruri Hoshino

The folder that comes with a pack of pills goes into great detail on side effects. If you go to any website sponsored by the makers, Orthe for instance, there will be a complete description. Planned parenthood and WebMD sites also cover this. Or simply use a search engine such as Google. This is easy stuff to find.

Do not ask a bunch of strangers when you can get the "real facts" for yourself.

Brandye

For the first 2-3 months, the pill can do a few strange things. However, this is just your body getting used to the new hormones. Your cycle can be wierd for a couple months...(the first month I was on BC I had a 21 day long period...oy) So, sexkitty, that's normal. As for the other side effects, the most common is weight gain. The reason for this though is that the hormones make you crave carbohydrates at first. (pastas, bread, etc) So if you force yourselves to stay away from carbs as much as possible...you should be fine. Other than that...all the side effects are outweighed by the protection you're getting. 5lbs heaver or pregnant...hmmm??? But in the long run, the pill has some great benefits too. a.) you'll always know when you're going to get your period. b.)oftentimes, your period is lighter and shorter. c.) you can even skip your period. d.)if taken perfectly, chances of pregnancy are less than 1%.
So, hope this helps.
Di

BabyDi

Umm they do cause wieght gain even though my doctor said it didn't cuz it puts estrogen in a teens body and makes it so she is evened out of her femine things or whatever lol
Umm i heard of blood clotthing and things that the that rarely happen. I donno really but i would make if you are asking this about your girlfriend or a sister to make her talk to her doctor to find out more cuz they would know mroe about these things:)

nodoubt16pb

Posted: 27 Sep 01:05

I've looked around online, and this doesn't seem to be a rare problem.. and it's one I think I'm having. I'm about to finish my 4th month of Microgynon 30, and I still have issues such as very tender breasts, and I've been very depressed recently.. it correlates with my beginning to take the contraception.
I did go for a consultation after my first 3 months of the pill.. I couldn't see my nurse, and the one I did see as good as checked my blood pressure, said I was fine, and sent me on my way with another 3 months worth. I am aware that it is my fault that I didn't say "look, I want to discuss this", but at the time I was uhming and ahhing over whether it was the pill having this adverse effect.
At this point, I'm quite convinced, and I just want rid of it.. condoms and spermicide suddenly look much more appealing than they once did.
My question really is.. if I try another pill, will it be much different/will it act as a depressant too/or is there simply no way to tell? I know people react to different pills in different ways, but from what I've seen, depression due to it is one of those less understood subjects, and it seems progestin is just a depressant to some people, simple as. I don't know if it's worth seeing my nurse and asking for something else.
Also, I cite the other issues such as sore breasts, just to confirm that I am persevering with it, but they haven't settled down within the first 3 months, as it was expected they would. I know depression is very different to breast tenderness, but one bad reaction does help me to think that another may be due to this.
Thanks for any help.

Beckeh

Posted: 29 Sep 23:54

When ever you have questions do not accept just a check and prescription; ask your questions. Any decent Health care practitioner should have asked you how you are doing on the pill, any problems, how is life, etc. As a patient you should call and tell them; get back in and have them change to a different pill. Be certain to tell the prescriber the pill & depression go hand in hand for you. Then they can try a different pill which usually does help. It can take a few adjustments to get it right, or it may be changing the hormones involved.

sera300

If changing the pill doesn't work.. there are alternatives which could change even the hormones involved? I don't understand this.. I know there are progestin only alternatives, but I thought this is where the problem tended to come from =s

Thanks for the help.

Beckeh

There is a pill available in some strength and mixture that will accommodate almost every woman. Your doctor should work with you on finding the one that works for you with minimal side-effects. And after a few have been tried, she should lay out the alternatives. Call the nurse and say this is not working. What other tricks do you offer?

Brandye

There's some combination which should work well as Brandye stated. Explain the issue and push the point. Don't need to give up on it, when feeling depressed just remember it's the medication but get on the phone ASAP with the doc.

sera300

Posted: 29 Sep 23:55

Add a Reply!