OP: Spermicide Allergy?

So my girlfriend and i have been having sex for a little over a month. Before her I had never had sex before and she's had one previous partner.
Anyway, when we were looking at condoms a month ago she was allergic to spermicide or spermicidal condoms or that it does something to her which i didnt really question her about.
Any info on this? I'm in no way going to force her to use spermicidal condoms but at the same time i'm kind of worried about accidental pregnancy (she's not on the pill or anything, we've just been using condoms).
Are these allergic reactions or whatever specific to only Nonoxynol-9 (the most used spermicide) or could i use some other product containing a different chemical?

Xasthur

Posted: 29 Sep 20:55

Replies:

it could be the condom itself she's allergic to. some people have latex allergies.
have you tried using a non-spermicidal condom and found the same irritation?

eminatic

Posted: 29 Sep 20:56

yeah, we've used regular lubricated latex condoms which worked fine. This isnt really something thats a great concern ti me, just curious

Xasthur

Some women find the harshness of a spermicide with the added friction of intercourse to be irritating to the vulva. The result is raw or irritated genitalia. With irritation (tissue damage) subsequent bacteria can enter the tissue and result in a secondary issue; an infection. It's not seen often, many women use forms of spermicide with no difficulty.

I know of no spermicides which do not contain Non-9 BUT I will admit I have never sought an alternative. Over the years, I have found the VCF (Vaginal Contraceptive Film) to be one of the better spermicides to use, personally. It does not seem to leak out as others do and appears to have less quantity verses using a foam.

I would look at another method if these are not suitable to her...perhaps BCP's, Nuvaring, IUD, or a diaphragm/cervical cap; meanwhile, you still use the condoms.

I was advised while using either a diaphragm or c. cap we still had to use a spermicide jelly BUT it was the only method we were using for BC while I was married. I would think if you are using the condom, if she used a cervical cap you could skip the spermicide.

Probability it's best to look for Brandye to reply to your question--she is the "ruler" of methods. Most of all, this is something she should be discussing with her doc.

sera300

There are three common spermicides in commercial products. Non-9 is, by far the most common. Very few women react but it is a detergent and that irritates some. Either stand in the aisle and read the ingredients or do a search and identify what products use the other two. Some products, the sponge, use a combination.

Latex reaction is more likely than spermicide reaction.

Brandye

I asked her specifically about it and she said it wasnt a rash or allergy or anything. It seems like it was just the "harshness" and friction of the non-9 chemical on the condom that sera mentioned.

So should we be using 2 forms of contraceptives? She was apparently on the pill briefly when she was with her ex-boyfriend but it made her depressed and all that so she stopped and thats out of the question.

A diaphragm sounds like a good idea as it seems like you can use different types of spermicide. The sponge sounds even better, it does have that Seinfeld endorsement. I imagine the non-9 wouldnt be as much a problem in this situation because the friction wouldnt be on the condom and therefore not moving as much or causing irritation.
Will those comfortable be for her (and me for that matter) and will it be noticable with really deep penetration?

Xasthur

The sponge tends to produce some foam, she will not feel it nor will you you need to still wear a condom. With a diaphragm or c.cap it's very rare for the partner to notice, she will feel not difference--still use the condom. Read through the sticky on this site on BC failure rates together.

sera300

Add a Reply!